Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube casting broken since recent update on KD55XD8005

tifosi256
Explorer

YouTube casting broken since recent update on KD55XD8005

I got a surprise firmware update on my old (2016 I think) Sony Android TV just a couple of days ago. It still seems to be 7.0 (but with the Android security updates for 1st August 2018), but had some fixes for HDR I think.

Apart from the perrenial bug of system menu sounds still coming from internal speakers even when a soundbar is connected, I'm now having issues casting YouTube videos from my phone to my TV.

The YouTube app on the TV itself is fine, and works 100% of the time, but trying to cast videos from my phone to the TV results in the TV just staying on the YouTube loading screen (and the phone reports it's trying to connect). I did manage to clear the cast app data and cache, and that fixed it, but the issue has come back less than 24h later.

Has anyone else got this? This was absolutely not a problem previously (it's a feature we make extensive use of).It definitely arrived with the last firmware (which of course I can't downgrade from).

Tags (3)
38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

See https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/crhome-cast-in-youtube-d8005/m-p/2510503#M31213

"I have cleared cache and memory on the TV's built-in chromecast app, reboot the TV and set it again in the Google Home app on my phone and it seems that this procedure fixed the problem, until the next one..."

same on my KD-75XE9005 😞

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@NickySTHLM wrote:

same on my KD-75XE9005 😞

See my post above yours.

tifosi256
Explorer

Thanks for this.

Are you able to expand a bit on some of those steps? I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

@tifosi256 wrote:

Thanks for this.

Are you able to expand a bit on some of those steps? I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

The issue is extended to various models.

As you can see in this thread (link given also in a post above) there is nothing you can really do:

Neither resetting the cache and memory on the TV's built-in chromecast app nor uninstalling the Chromecast built in app update (which I think created the problem) pose a stable fix to the issue.

Our only hope is that Google will respond with a hotfix asap.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I didn't do it personally as my XE9005 seems fine but,

On the TV, Press Home, Goto Setting at the bottom of the screen, select Apps in the menu on the right hand side, not sure exactly what the Chrome Cast App is called ChromeCast / Google ChromeCast / Google Cast Receiver something like that. Then select clear cache and clear data.

A video showing clearing apps on an older version of the TV, so the menu layout is slightly different to the XE9005 and I assume the XD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuAL0yEHhCA

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Apologies it seems the clear cache/data is only a temporary fix, the nuclear option of a full factory reset may work. Its odd that my XE9005 seems ok as that should be the same version as yours.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

As already mentioned in both threads, resetting the chromecast built-in app's cache and memory solves the problem BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY. After an hour or so the problem is back.

It is a general issue and it has also been mentioned in other regional fora (e.g. greek avclub).

EDIT:

I am 99% that the problem occured after the latest  chromecast built-in app update and not the FW update, since I remember chromecasting with no problem after the latest FW update. Unfortunately even downgrading  chromecast built-in app does not work.

EDIT2:

Heads up, the issue concerns only youtube through chromecasting. Everything else (Netflix, Google Photos, TuneIn etc.) is chromecasting smoothly.

@stormyukCould it be that you did not get/install the latest chromecast built-in app update?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@zer0ner0 wrote:

@stormyukCould it be that you did not get/install the latest chromecast built-in app update?

This is probably exactly why thinking about it as I have my apps set to manual update only, for this very reason.

My chromcast app will be at the older version.

Cheers.