Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot download music from Windows Media Player to Sony XQ-DC54 mobile phone

profile.country.GB.title
PhillJ
Explorer

Cannot download music from Windows Media Player to Sony XQ-DC54 mobile phone

I recently purchased the Sony Xperia 10v especially for its recommended sound reproduction.

My old Motorola easily downloaded music from Windows Media Player. But when connecting my Sony phone and setting up file transfer I am unable to download anything.

When connecting phone to my laptop and clicking on 'file transfer' it takes some time for WMP to recognise the phone. When I proceed with sync on WMP I keep getting message 'problem syncing to device'. I've tried using sync update but get message 'unable to update sync at this time'.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP a few times without success. 

The phone works fine for all other uses but it is a huge disappointment that I cant download music and am unable to listen to my favourite sounds, especially Green Day. 

The fact that I can still connect my old Motorola phone and download music, I assume its not WMP that's the problem but the phone?

Would really appreciate any thoughts on how I can resolve this problem. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius
profile.country.GB.title
PhillJ
Explorer

Thank you so much for your reply. Your right this is an alternative way copying direct from files on laptop to phone instead of WMP. Ok on old Motorola. After dragging file to SD card on phone you get a box saying 'copying'.

With the Sony it hangs for a while then crashes and nothing is transferred. Again I've tried this several times. I thought it may be something to do the the SD card and tried copying using the internal storage but without success.

The USB Preferences display has 'This Device' highlighted along with 'File Transfer'.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

I know it's not a solution, but consider that nine times out of ten the cause is in the Operating System, among other things I have the impression that yours may not be very recent.

profile.country.GB.title
PhillJ
Explorer

Thanks for that. I will investigate further. Appreciate it.
profile.country.GB.title
PhillJ
Explorer

I found an alternative way to transfer files from laptop to phone. Android 14 includes 'nearby share'. I am now able to drag files on computer into a box highlighting my Xperia 10v phone and click transfer.

I can now get the full and magical experience of sounds on my new Sony phone.

Just in time too, as I can now revel in Green Day's new album 'Saviors' which is awesome.

Thanks to everyone for their time and input, it was really appreciated.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Now the name is Quick Share, but it is still the same, it is a Google product and it can also be used already in Android 10 as well as 14, very convenient and fast.

Pay attention to the Settings if you want to send and receive only to and from your devices.

profile.country.GB.title
PhillJ
Explorer

Thanks for the clarification and guidance